Next to OM, om mani padme hum is one of the most commonly chanted mantras in yoga.
This special yogic chant is Sanskrit, and it’s pronounced OHM-MAH-NEE-PAHD-MAY-HUM. It’s comprised of four words, and those four melodic words are all the words on many of those colorful Tibetan prayer flags.
Om mani padme hum is an ancient Buddhist mantra. In English, this rhythmic chant literally translates to “Praise to the Jewel in the Lotus.” This might not make much sense to new yogis or even to well-practiced yogis, but the mantra’s essence is powerful and pure.
As the Dalai Lama said, its meaning is “great and vast” because all the teachings of Buddha are wrapped up in this one phrase.
Let’s Break Down Om Mani Padme Hum
There are a lot of different meanings and different opinions on what each syllable means.
Generally, each syllable represents one of the six goals of Buddhist existence and helps heal or purify and bring forth the positive qualities associated with that goal.
Let’s take a look at the meaning of each word in the mantra:
- Om = the vibration or sound of the universe; represents divine energy and generosity and purifies the ego
- Ma = represents ethics and purifies jealousy
- Ni = represents patience and purifies want or desire
- Pad = represents diligence and purifies ignorance and judgment
- Me = represents concentration and purifies attachment
- Hum = the unity of all; represents wisdom and purifies hatred
Why Do Yogis Chant Om Mani Padme Hum?
Chanting in general soothes the senses and sends energy to the parts of your body (or the chakra centers) that most need it.
Calming sounds are known to help heal the body and mind. Plus, with all the division in the world, chanting allows all voices to come together to show unity and oneness not just of the self, but of the community and world.
There are many reasons why yogis choose to chant this powerful mantra, but here are a few main benefits:
- It clears the mind, allowing you to detach from the ego
- The words help release karmas that may be holding you back
- These words can send out a message about the kind of life you wish to manifest
- It empties the body of everything but an awareness of the inside
The Takeaway Behind This Powerful Mantra
Many people consider this to be the most powerful, all-encompassing chant in yoga. So don’t be afraid in your next yoga class. Give it a try and chant away!
Om mani padme hum. Om mani padme hum. Om mani padme hum.
This article has been read 100K+ times. Wowzers!