TKTK TKTK TKTK TKTK
TKTK Vegan at Home: Recipes for a Modern Plant-Based Lifestyle by Solla Eiríksdóttir TKTKT (published in 2022 by Phaidon)
Vegan Butter With Coconut Oil And Almond Butter
This vegan butter recipe is smooth, rich, and creamy. It will never be identical to butter made from cow’s milk, but is a decent substitute. When making your own vegan butter, you can easily make it without having to use any artificial ingredients, unlike store-bought versions. This butter is excellent for spreading, baking, and frying.
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 5 minutes standing, 5 minutes cooling, and 2 hours firming
Cook time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: Makes 2 cups plus 3 tbsp
⅔ cup plant-based milk, such as almond or soy
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ cup avocado oil
1 cup minus 2 tsp coconut oil
3 tbsp almond butter
2 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1. Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3–4 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice. The milk will curdle when it cools down, about 5 minutes.
3. Put all the ingredients, including the curdled milk, into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into a 5 ½ x 3 ½ inch glass container with an airtight lid and chill, uncovered, in the refrigerator or freezer for 2 hours, or until firm and set.
5. If placed in the freezer, transfer to the refrigerator after 2–3 hours. This butter keeps for up to a month, covered, in the refrigerator.
TKTKT Photography © 2022 by Hildur Ársælsdóttir. Reproduced by permission of Phaidon