Are you searching for characteristics of a Godly leader? The Bible is the place to go. Read these Bible verses for leaders.
Whether you are a church leader, a Bible study teacher, serve in a small group, or any other capacity of leadership in ministry, there are plenty of Bible verses for leaders that are both encouraging, and filled with Christlike qualities that will grow you as a leader, and help you to disciple and mentor others.
We have compiled 39 Bible verses for leaders to help you see the qualities of a good leader, according to Scripture, and how you can lead with humility and patience as you walk alongside other believers.
39 Bible Verses For Leaders
Bible Verses On Qualities Of A Good Leader
1. 2 Timothy 1:7 – His Spirit Gives Us Self-discipline
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
2. 1 Timothy 4:12 – Set An Example For The Believers
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
3. Exodus 18:21 – Trustworthy Men Who Hate Dishonest Gain
But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.
4. Matthew 20:25-28 – Whoever Wants To Become Great Must Be Your Servant
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.
Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
5. Galatians 6:9 – Do Not Become Weary In Doing Good
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
6. 1 Timothy 3:2-7 – Be Above Reproach
Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect.
(If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)
He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.
7. 2 Timothy 2:15 – Present Yourself To God As One Approved
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
8. 2 Timothy 4:1-5 – Be Prepared In And Out Of Season
In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.
Bible Verses On Leading With Humility
9. Philippians 2:3-4 – In Humility Value Others Above Yourselves
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
10. Colossians 3:12-13 – Clothe Yourself With Humility
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
11. Luke 6:31 – Do To Others What You Would Have Them Do To You
Do to others as you would have them do to you.
12. Luke 22:25-27 – Serve Others
Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors.
But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves.
For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.
13. James 4:10 – Humble Yourselves Before The Lord
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
14. John 3:30 – He Must Become Greater And I Must Become Less
He must become greater; I must become less.
15. Proverbs 11:2 – With Humility Comes Wisdom
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
16. 2 Timothy 2:24-25 – Be Kind To Everyone
And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth.
17. 1 Peter 4:10 – Use Whatever Gift You Have To Serve Others
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
Bible Verses On Patient Leadership
18. Proverbs 14:29 – Whoever Is Patient Has Great Understanding
Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.
19. Ephesians 4:2-3 – Be Patient, Bearing With One Another In Love
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
20. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 – Love Is Patient
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
21. Colossians 3:12 – Clothe Yourself With Patience
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
22. Romans 12:12 – Be Patient In Affliction
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
23. Psalm 27:14 – Take Heart And Wait For The Lord
Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
24. 1 Timothy 1:16 – Jesus Displayed His Immense Patience As an Example For Those Who Believe In Him
But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
25. 1 Thessalonians 5:14 – Be Patient With Everyone
And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
Bible Verses On How To Disciple or Mentor Others
26. 2 Timothy 2:2 – Entrust Teachings To Reliable People Who Are Also Qualified To Teach Others
And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.
27. Psalm 71:18 – I Will Declare Your Power To The Next Generation
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.
28. 1 Thessalonians 2:8 – Sharing Not Only The Gospel But Our Lives As Well
So we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well.
29. Matthew 28:18-20 – Make Disciples Of All Nations
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
30. Proverbs 27:23 – Give Careful Attention To Your Herds
Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds.
31. Titus 2:4-5 – Older Women Urge The Younger Women
Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
32. 1 Corinthians 11:1 – Follow My Example As I Follow Christ’s
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
33. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 – One Can Help The Other
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
Scriptures On How To Help Others Grow
34. 1 Peter 5:2-3 – Be An Example To The Flock
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.
35. Philippians 4:9 – Whatever You Have Seen Or Learn From Me, Put Into Practice
Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
36. Titus 2:3-4 – Older Women Should Teach What Is Good
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children.
37. Hebrews 13:7 – Imitate Their Faith
Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
38. Proverbs 9:9 – Instruct The Wise And They Will Be Wiser Still
Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
39. Proverbs 27:17 – One Person Sharpens Another
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.