Use these Bible verses on parenting to give mothers and fathers wisdom and encouragement straight from God’s Word to raise their children.
The role of a parent is both a blessing and a big responsibility. Whether you are a new parent, have a few years of parenting under your belt, or are parents-to-be, God’s Word is the perfect place to find guidance, encouragement, and instruction as a parent.
That is why we have included 35 Bible verses about parenting, and Scriptures that are helpful for parents. Many of these verses not only touch on parenting, but ways in which Christian parents can lead their lives, and be conformed to the image of Christ, which affect their roles as Godly parents.
35 Bible Verses About Parenting
1. Ephesians 6:4 – Do Not Exasperate Your Children
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
2. Proverbs 29:15 – A Rod And A Reprimand Impart Wisdom
A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother.
3. Proverbs 22:6 – Train A Child In The Way He Should Go
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
4. Colossians 3:21 – Do Not Embitter Your Children
Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
5. Ephesians 6:1-3 – Obey Your Parents In The Lord
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.
6. Proverbs 29:17 – Discipline Your Children And They Will Give You Peace
Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire.
7. Psalm 127:3-5 – Children Are A Heritage From The Lord
Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.
8. Proverbs 13:24 – He Who Loves His Son Is Careful To Discipline Him
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
9. Proverbs 10:1 – A Wise Son Brings Joy To His Father
The proverbs of Solomon: A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son brings grief to his mother.
10. Deuteronomy 6:6-7 – Impress Them On Your Children
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
11. Proverbs 6:20 – Keep Your Fathers Commands And Don’t Forsake Your Mother’s Teaching
My son, keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
12. Proverbs 23:13-14 – Do Not Withhold Discipline From A Child
Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die. Punish them with the rod and save them from death.
13. 2 Peter 3:18 – Grow In The Grace And Knowledge Of Our Lord And Savior Jesus Christ
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
14. James 1:5 – Ask God For Wisdom
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
15. Hebrews 12:5-11 – The Lord Disciplines The One He Loves
And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.
Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
16. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – All Scripture Is God-breathed
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
17. Philippians 4:6-7 – Do Not Be Anxious About Anything But Pray About Everything
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
18. Colossians 3:23-24 – Whatever You Do Work At It With All Your Heart
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
19. Lamentations 3:22-23 – His Compassions Never Fail
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
20. Isaiah 41:10 – He Will Strengthen You And Help You
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
21. Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust In The Lord With All Your Heart
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
22. Philippians 4:19-20 – He Will Meet All Your Needs According To The Riches Of His Glory In Christ Jesus
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
23. Psalm 46:1 – He Is An Ever-present Help In Trouble
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
24. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – The God Of All Comfort
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
25. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 – Fix Your Eyes Not On What Is Seen But What Is Unseen
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
26. Psalm 28:7 – The Lord Is My Strength And Shield
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
27. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 – Love Is Patient, Love Is Kind
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
28. Matthew 6:6 – Pray To Your Father In Private
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
29. John 1:12 – He Gave The Right To Become Children Of God
Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.
30. James 1:17 – Every Good And Perfect Gift Is From Above
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
31. Matthew 10:29-31 – Don’t Be Afraid
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
32. John 14:21 – Whoever Keeps His Commands Loves Him
Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.
33. Luke 6:36 – Be Merciful As Your Father Is Merciful
Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
34. John 15:8 – Bear Much Fruit
This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
35. John 14:26 – The Holy Spirit Will Teach You All Things
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.