Use these Bible verses for Father’s Day in your cards and prayers to honor and celebrate the dads in your life with these encouraging Scriptures.
Every year on Father’s Day we get to celebrate and honor the fathers and father figures in our lives. Whether you are a son or daughter (or a spouse, family member, or friend to a father) who is looking to write your dad a special message, or you want to add encouragement and inspiration to your Father’s Day card, these Bible verses for Father’s Day are a great way to do that.
We know that God has created the family to be the foundation of our society, and fathers just like mothers have an important role to play, though those roles may be unique, both are invaluable, especially when it is modeled after God’s instructions.
The theme of fatherhood is a common theme in scripture, especially as it relates to one of God’s very own characteristics and roles in our lives. He is the best example for fathers to follow as they navigate this unique role that they have been given.
These Bible verses for Father’s Day serve as a great way to encourage, honor, and remind fathers of this wonderful gift of fatherhood.
28 Bible Verses For Father’s Day
1. Psalm 103:13 – As A Father Shows Compassion To His Children
As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
2. Psalm 127:3-5 – Children Are A Heritage From The Lord
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
3. Proverbs 3:11-12 – The Lord Disciplines Those He Loves, As A Father The Son He Delights In
My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
4. Proverbs 22:6 – Train Up A Child In The Way He Should Go
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
5. Proverbs 20:7 – Blessed Are Their Children After Them
The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them.
6. Ephesians 6:4 – Do Not Provoke Your Children To Anger
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
7. Proverbs 23:22-24 – The Father Of A Righteous Child Has Great Joy
Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy the truth and do not sell it- wisdom, instruction and insight as well. The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.
8. Colossians 3:21 – Do Not Embitter Your Children
Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
9. Joshua 24:15 – As For Me And My House, We Will Serve The Lord
And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
10. Exodus 20:12 – Honor Your Father And Your Mother
Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
11. Proverbs 15:5 – Whoever Heeds Correction Shows Prudence
A fool spurns a parent’s discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.
12. Hebrews 12:7 – What Children Are Not Disciplined By Their Father?
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?
13. Malachi 4:6 – He Will Turn The Hearts Of The Parents To Their Children
He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.
14. 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 – Encourage, Comforting, And Urging
For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.
15. Ephesians 6:4 – Bring Them Up In The Training And Instruction Of The Lord
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
16. Deuteronomy 6:6-9 – Impress Them On Your Children
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
17. Matthew 7:9-11 – How Much More Will Your Father In Heaven Give Good Gifts To Those Who Ask Him
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
18. 3 John 1:4 – No Greater Joy
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
19. Luke 15:20-24 – The Father Was Filled With Compassion For His Son
So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him.
Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
20. Joshua 1:9 – Be Strong And Courageous
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
21. Jeremiah 17:7 – Blessed Is The One Who Trusts In The Lord
But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.
22. Proverbs 17:6 – Parents Are The Pride Of Their Children
Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.
23. 2 Timothy 3:15-17 – That The Servant Of God May Be Equipped For Every Good Work
And how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
24. Ephesians 6:11 – Put On The Full Armor Of God
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.
25. Psalm 32:7-8 – You Are My Hiding Place
You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
26. Lamentations 3:22-23 – Great Is His Faithfulness
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
27. Ephesians 3:20-21 – To Him Who Is Able To Do Immeasurably More Than All We Ask Or Imagine
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
28. Exodus 34:6-7 – The Compassionate And Gracious God
And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.
Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”