The treadmill is a convenient home exercise machine that helps keep the cardiovascular system and the whole body healthy. It is actively used to burn extra calories to lose weight and look more attractive. Many people do this, but not everyone knows How to lose weight running on a treadmill effectively.
Before you start exercising actively, make sure you have no contraindications. The intensity of loads on the treadmill is easily adjustable, so this machine can be used to create a program for those who regularly go to the gym and for those who last exercised in school.
6 principles for losing weight running on a treadmill
- A medium-intensity workout is best done in the morning. At this time the body burns more calories. Strong workouts should be planned for the day or evening. Significant physical activity in the morning is not suitable for everyone.
- Do not start a treadmill workout on a full stomach. This is not healthy and will not help you lose weight. But you shouldn’t work out hungry, either. It is best to eat a salad, dairy products or whole-grain porridge in an hour.
- It is optimal to wait about 1 hour after your workout. The duration of physical activity plays a fundamentally important role. It is better to exercise with a heart rate slightly lower than the effective zone, but longer by 20 minutes. This rule is closely related to the physiology of the body – in the first minutes of exercise the body does not expend calories from fat reserves, it makes do with glucose and glycogen.
- Before beginning an intense workout on a treadmill, be sure to do a warm-up or walk for 5-10 minutes at a normal pace. This will prepare your body and nervous system for the exercise.
- Watch your heart rate. To lose weight, you do not need to start with heavy exercise. For beginners it is enough to exercise with a heart rate of 60-70% of its maximum. To calculate the index depending on age, the formulas will help: (220 – age)*0.6 and (220 – age)*0.8. Read more https://www.heart.org/
- Don’t work too hard. It’s a huge folly to lose weight quickly at the expense of your health. Also, if you are significantly overweight, you can damage your joints. Combine a balanced diet with a gradual reduction of your caloric intake and regular, moderate-intensity exercise.
Which treadmill is more efficient to lose weight with?
It is possible to shed extra pounds on an inexpensive mechanical exerciser as well as on a modern electric exerciser with a large number of functions. The main difference is in the comfort of use. The expensive model will allow you to control your heart rate, use built-in training programs, and record the results.
Important differences may be the maximum allowable weight, the possible speed and incline angles. Otherwise it is not necessary to overpay and it is possible to pick up a treadmill to $300. This will be quite enough for working out at home.
How many calories are burned
The minimum time for a complete workout is 40 minutes, preferably 1 hour. It is realistic to burn 200 to 800 calories in an hour, depending on your weight and intensity. The greater a person’s weight, the more calories he burns! For example, a person weighing 70 kg with light running (5.5 km/hour) will burn 300 kcal in 60 minutes, while a person weighing 85 kg will lose 358 kcal under the same conditions.
Here’s an approximate number of calories burned from the intensity level
|Walking and fast walking||200-300|
|Intermediate speed running with rest||400-500|
|High speed interval running||600-800|
What parts of the body lose weight first?
The reduction of fat deposits occurs evenly and irrespective of which muscles work when running on a treadmill. This is explained by the peculiarities of the human body. But it can be emphasized that men and women lose weight differently.
The female figure most often belongs to the gynoid type. In this case fat is primarily accumulated in the lower part of the body – hips, buttocks and abdomen – and the upper part of the body is often the last to be involved. As for losing weight, the process occurs in reverse order.
First the extra centimeters start to go away from the upper part of the body, and then – from the lower part. That is why many girls complain during weight loss that their breasts and face go in volume, instead of the desired centimeters on their legs and butt.
The male figure in most cases belongs to the android type – a muscular relief and narrow hips. In this case excess weight in the first place begins to appear in the abdomen and only then is distributed throughout the body. That is why e men after 30 years often in appears a beer belly. In the process of losing weight the fat layer decreases first of all on arms and legs, and only then on chest, shoulders and stomach.
Regular walking is a good way to lose weight. It is optimal for unprepared or obese people. Walking will not strain the cardiovascular system, your tendons and joints, but will allow you to burn calories.
It is important to follow these guidelines:
- Follow the safety recommendations. This will reduce the risk of injury.
- Breathe while running with your nose only. Try to keep your breathing steady and calm.
- Exercise in comfortable clothes and shoes.
To lose weight, simply walk on a treadmill at a moderate pace. Start with 30 minutes and gradually increase the time to 1 hour. An important success factor is regularity. You can work out several times a week or every day, alternating intense workouts with easier ones.
Usually the body adapts to exercise after 1 to 1.5 months. From then on gradually increase the difficulty, increase the speed or use incline.
A common mistake of beginners: strive to burn more calories in one workout. Such long, monotonous workouts only deplete the nervous and hormonal system. A person will feel tired, the body will not be able to keep this regime for a long time, and it will not lead you to the desired result.
One-size-fits-all training will not help those who have been engaged in sports for a long time to lose weight. The body of such people is already used to physical exertion, so a more intensive and varied program is needed for weight loss. It is worth combining treadmill training and other types of exercise.
Ventilate the room in which you train. The presence of enough oxygen speeds up the process of burning calories.
Example training program
Interval training is effective for weight loss if you do it even for 40-50 minutes once every 2-3 days. This option is optimal for those who have average or excellent physical training. Interval training involves a change of strong and moderate loads.
If you are a beginner, make a program so that intense exercises occupy no more than a third of the total time. For those who have already adapted to exercise, the optimal ratio of moderate to vigorous exercise is 1:1.
Beginners should focus more on walking and light jogging until their body adapts to the exertion:
- Walking at a normal speed for 5 minutes is a kind of warm-up.
- Walking at a normal speed at a slight incline for 3-5 minutes. It is better to start with a minimum incline.
- Walking fast/jogging for 3-4 minutes.
Do the complex 4-7 times. If you find the exercise difficult, reduce the time and number of repetitions and after 2-3 weeks gradually increase the difficulty.
To increase the intensity, you can use adjusting your running speed as well as changing your incline angle by 0.5 percent every minute. Repeat until you reach a 4-5 percent incline, then work backwards. Similarly, you should gradually increase your speed and then decrease it afterwards.
Hard workout program
The program is suitable for trained people. You should start with a warm-up or walk for 5 minutes. The workout includes the following steps:
- Walking at an average pace for 3-5 min.
- Running at a moderate pace 3 min.
- Light jogging 2 min.
- Running at high speed 2 min.
Regularly note your results. This will be an additional motivation to develop and improve your performance. It is important to understand that training is only one component. You should also eat right, drink enough water, and normalize your sleep regime.
# How long does it take to lose weight running on a treadmill?
The first result with the right training regime will be visible in 3-5 weeks. Usually it is easier to lose the first 10-15% of weight than to lose extra pounds. As we already wrote in the article, training is one of the components. Stick to your diet, speed up your metabolism, take more walks outdoors, drink water and the result will surely be achieved.
# Is 30 minutes a day on treadmill enough to lose weight?
A short workout is better than a missed workout. But it is better and more effective if the duration of the workout is between 45 and 80 minutes. The optimal time is really individual. But on average it takes a similar interval of time for the body to start burning calories.