Debate teaches key life skills, like learning to speak persuasively and listening with an open mind to other people’s opinions. Debating in the classroom can get tricky though, especially with controversial topics. These fun and funny debate topics give kids debating-skills practice in a low-stakes way. Get ready to argue—and giggle!
- Funny Debate Topics About Food
- General Funny Debate Topics for All Ages
- General Funny Debate Topics for Older Students
Funny Debate Topics About Food
People have a lot of opinions about food. That’s what makes these such funny debate topics!
- A hot dog is a sandwich.
- A taco is a sandwich.
- There’s no point in eating french fries without ketchup.
- Pepperoni is the best pizza topping.
- Peanut butter is better than Nutella.
- Hot chocolate is better than a chocolate milkshake.
- Fruit counts as dessert.
- Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi.
- Round pizzas are better than rectangular ones.
- Ice cream is better than cake.
- McDonald’s is the best fast-food restaurant.
- Chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla.
- Humans should eat to live, not live to eat.
- Chocolate chip cookies are the best kind of cookies.
- Hot chocolate is better than eggnog.
- You should never put ketchup on a hot dog.
- You should never put pineapple on a pizza.
- Macaroni and cheese should be eaten with a spoon, not a fork.
- You should put cereal in the bowl first, followed by milk.
- A corner brownie is better than one in the middle.
General Funny Debate Topics for All Ages
These funny debate topics are just as much fun for little ones as they are for big kids.
- All families should have a pet.
- Dogs are better pets than cats.
- Summer is better than winter.
- Candy should be given as rewards in the classroom.
- Clowns are more scary than funny.
- Modern music is better than classical music.
- Xbox is better than PlayStation.
- Football is better than soccer.
- Everyone should make their bed every day.
- It would be better to be able to fly than to be able to turn invisible.
- People should be allowed to go barefoot anywhere they want.
- Fiction is better than nonfiction.
- Everyone should learn to play a musical instrument.
- Werewolves are more dangerous than vampires.
- People shouldn’t have to go to school or work on their birthdays.
- It’s better to be the superhero than the sidekick.
- Books are better than movies.
- Snow skiing is better than water skiing.
- You should never wear socks with sandals.
- Monday is the worst day of the week.
General Funny Debate Topics for Older Students
These funny debate topics are a little more complex, so high school students will enjoy battling it out!
- Pluto should still be considered a planet.
- Santa Claus’s elves should be paid minimum wage.
- There is intelligent life on other planets.
- The egg came before the chicken.
- Harry Potter is better than The Lord of the Rings.
- The world would be better if women were always in charge.
- It’s better to be TikTok famous than Instagram famous.
- Facebook should add a “Don’t Like” button.
- Aliens are living among us here on Earth.
- Using curse words is no big deal.
- Bottled water is better than tap water.
- Going out is more fun than staying at home.
- Daydreaming is better than night dreaming.
- All’s fair in love and war.
- Robin Hood is a thief, not a hero.
- Darth Vader was ultimately a hero, not a villain.
- Being famous is actually not all that great.
- Superheroes should have to pay for all the damage they cause.
- It would be better to live under the sea than in space.
- Skirts are more comfortable than pants.
What are your favorite funny debate topics? Come share on the WeAreTeachers HELPLINE group on Facebook!
Now that you’ve tackled funny debate topics, you’re ready to move on to more serious stuff. Check out 100 Middle School Debate Topics and 100 High School Debate Topics.